Apple has brought the Walkie Talkie app back to the Apple Watch, after it disable the feature earlier this month owing to security vulnerability. Walkie Talkie is a FaceTime feature that enables push-to-talk calls between users, provided they grant permission.
The watchOS 5.3 software update brings some new features to the Apple Watch; it also brings the ability to use the Walkie Talkie feature on the device again. This feature was previously disabled after a security bug was discovered with it, this has now been fixed. The latest watchOS update — version 5.3 — also further expands support for the Apple Watch’s EKG feature and irregular heartbeat detection to Canada and Singapore.
Update iOS 12.4 AND WatchOS 5.3 to restore Walkie-Talkie
After you update both your iPhone and your Watch, the Walkie-Talkie app and service works just like it did before, minus the security issue
To update your iOS, go to Settings > General > Software Update or use iTunes if you prefer
For watchOS updates, go to the dedicated Apple Watch app on your paired iPhone and then choose General > Software Update. Remember that Apple requires your Apple Watch to have at least 50 % battery, placed on its charger and near your iPhone in order to update watchOS
Walkie-Talkie compatible Apple Watch models
- Apple Watch Series 1-4
- Wi-Fi and Cellular LTE both support the Walkie-Talkie feature
- Walkie-Talkie is not currently available in China, UAE, and Pakistan
- Walkie-Talkie app does not currently work with devices using the same Apple ID
How to Use Walkie-Talkie on Apple Watch
Walkie-Talkie is a fun, simple new way to connect with another user with a compatible Apple Watch. Open the Walkie-Talkie app on your Apple Watch for the first time.
Invite a friend to use Walkie-Talkie:
- Scroll down the list of contacts, and then tap a name to send an invitation.
- When your contact accepts the invitation, you can start a Walkie-Talkie conversation when both of you are available.
- To add another contact, tap the Add button on the Walkie-Talkie screen, then choose a contact.
Walkie-Talkie conversation on your Apple Watch:
- Open the Walkie-Talkie app on your Apple Watch.
- Tap your friend’s name.
- Touch and hold the Talk button, then speak.
If your friend has made themselves available, Walkie-Talkie opens on their Apple Watch and they’ll hear what you said. To adjust the volume while you’re talking, turn the Digital Crown.
How to make Unavailable yourself?
- Touch and hold the bottom of the screen, then swipe up to open Control Center.
- Scroll up, and then tap the Walkie-Talkie button.
Or, in the Walkie-Talkie app on your Apple Watch, scroll to the top of the screen, then turn off Available. Turning on theatre mode also makes you unavailable for Walkie-Talkie.