There is no doubt why American users are most comfortable with using the Apple iPhone over all other smartphone brands. It offers a plethora of unique features like speed of use, durability, camera quality, privacy, display quality, FaceTime, and many more. But it is also a fact that machines do wear out, and no matter what you do after some time, some issues start coming up. One of the most common problems is the iPhone Black Screen of Death issue. Read along to know all the possible solutions that you can try yourself.
Why is my iPhone's stuck on iPhone Black Screen? Can't do anything?
Your iPhone's screen might turn black even though the phone is ON. The display becomes unresponsive and black. It's generally called the Black Screen Of Death on the iPhone, where you may not be able to perform any task. Even the touch features do not work. This problem could happen due to multiple reasons like:
- Your iPhone is getting overheated.
- The battery on your iPhone is low.
- Unstable Apps are operating in the background.
- Software issues with the iOS.
- Physical damage / Breakage.
- Hardware issues due to loose connection or water damage.
Steps to solve iPhone Black Screen of Death
1. Remove any protective case or outer cover
Overheating should be the first cause you must rule out to solve the iPhone Black Screen problem. Nowadays, for ease we use a variety of iPhone cases to store our cards and cash. But that is one of the primary source of overheating in an iPhone. Remove any protective cover or case which might stop the heat from dissipating.
After removing the case, keep it in a cool and ventilated place for a while to see if it back to its normal condition. If not, check the next step.
2. Force restart your iPhone
Most of the minor software glitches on your iPhone will get solved by restarting your iPhone. But in this scenario, if your iPhone is not responsive then you must perform the forced restart option as per the below steps.
How to Force Restart iPhone 8 or later models?:
- Start by pressing and quickly releasing the Volume Up button on your iPhone. Next, press and quickly release the Volume Down button. After that, press and hold the Side button until you can see the Apple logo. This will easily force restart your iPhone.
How to Force restart iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone, and the iPhone 7 Plus
- Start by pressing and holding both the Top (or Side) button and the Volume Down buttons. Hold these buttons until you can see the Apple logo.
3. Immediately keep your iPhone on charging!
After you have force restarted your iPhone, there is a high possibility that its battery has drained which is causing the iPhone black screen issue. Charge your iPhone for at least 30 minutes to perform the next steps.
4. Remove any glitch or heavy apps that may be causing the issue
Try to remember which App were you using when the glitch happened? Visit the app store to check if there are any updates available for that App. If it is available, download and install the updates. And, if you do not require that app, then you can simply remove it from your iPhone.
5. Check if there are any OS updates available for your iPhone.
To check if there are any updates available for your iPhone got to the Settings menu, click on General, and then click on software update. On this screen, you will be able to see the currently installed version of iOS on your iPhone and if there is an OS update is available. Update the OS on your iPhone to get any bug fixes that are already solved. This will also help provide security patches as well as protection against any buggy applications.
Following the above 5 steps will solve the iPhone Black Screen problem. But there may be scenarios where the above solution is may not be possible to perform. Read along to know the solutions for such scenarios.
What to do if my iPhone is stuck on startup / iPhone Does not boot?
If you are unable to force restart your iPhone and it is stuck on the Apple logo, don't worry. The easiest solution is to reset it via iTunes by connecting it to any pc, laptop, or mac. But first, you need to charge your device for at least an hour so that it has a minimum of 60% battery available.
Next, If you can see the Apple logo or there is a red or blue screen during startup, then follow the below steps:
- Connect your iPhone to a computer/mac. If you are using a mac, it is best to have the latest macOS version installed (recommended). Then, open Finder on the mac or open windows search if you are using a Windows PC and then, open the iTunes application. If you don't have iTunes installed on your windows PC, then first download it here.
- Then locate your device in iTunes.
- Now, keep your iPhone connected, & follow the below steps:
- For iPhone 8 and above models (iPhone X, iPhone 11, and iPhone 12): Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
- For iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Top (or Side) and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
Now, you will get an option to restore or update the device. Click on update. This option will try to reinstall iOS without erasing any of your data. In this process, make sure the computer is connected to a good speed internet. It will download the OS software for your iPhone. Note that if this process takes more than 15 minutes, your device might exit the recovery mode and you'll need to repeat the above steps 2 and 3.
What if force restart doesn't work on your iPhone (No display)?
If you can't see anything on your screen while trying to force restart your iPhone, then there are chances that the issue is caused due to physical or water damage. And if this happens, one of the most common reasons is the loose connection of the LCD display cable. Other issues could be due to water damage which spoils the internal circuit, or physical damage due to heavy impact that has also broken your screen on the iPhone. If such circumstances arise, then the best solution is to approach a good iPhone repair store near you. You can find your nearest store here. If you visit an iFixScreens store, you avail yourself of a free diagnostic of your iPhone and get the exact estimate of how much would it cost.